Friday, August 21, 2026
  • Login
KHEL UPDATES
  • Home
  • Football
  • Cricket
  • Tennis
  • More Sports
  • Golf
  • Beyond The Scoreline
No Result
View All Result
Advertisement
KHEL UPDATES
No Result
View All Result

Soccer powerhouses weigh no-confidence vote in bid to oust Infantino, sources say

Agencies by Agencies
August 20, 2026
in Football
0
0
Soccer powerhouses weigh no-confidence vote in bid to oust Infantino, sources say
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

BOLZANO, Italy :  UEFA, the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) and CONCACAF are discussing whether to seek a vote of no confidence in FIFA President Gianni Infantino as opposition grows over his handling of a failed plan to sell a stake in the World Cup’s commercial rights, senior figures familiar with the talks told Reuters.

The discussions mark an escalation in the crisis engulfing world soccer’s governing body, with the three confederations considering a move that could force an extraordinary FIFA Congress to address Infantino’s leadership.

Reuters could find no previous instance in FIFA’s 122-year history of its Congress holding a no-confidence vote against a sitting president.

“There is no way out,” one source said, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the discussions. “Either he goes the peaceful way and decides not to stand in March or he goes the hard way,” the source said, referring to a possible no-confidence vote.

Under FIFA’s statutes, its Council can convene an Extraordinary Congress at any time. It must also do so if at least one-fifth of FIFA’s 211 member associations submit a written request specifying the items for the agenda.

An Extraordinary Congress must be convened within three months, with each attending association entitled to one vote. FIFA’s statutes contain no specific provision governing a presidential no-confidence vote.

FIFA did not respond to a request for comment.

UEFA did not comment directly on whether such a vote was being discussed, referring Reuters to its earlier statement that a review of FIFA’s leadership and governance should be “thorough and fundamental” and that “no option should be off the table”.

CONCACAF referred Reuters to an earlier joint statement with UEFA and the AFC accusing FIFA’s leadership of a fundamental breach of trust. The AFC did not immediately respond.

INFANTINO RETAINS SUPPORT

Infantino has said he intends to seek a fourth term at the FIFA Congress scheduled for March 2027, and retains substantial support among member associations, particularly in Africa.

FIFA has apologised to its members over mistakes in the handling of the investment proposal. Six Arab football associations, including Qatar and 2030 World Cup co-hosts Morocco, publicly backed Infantino last week.

A senior figure familiar with the discussions said the three confederations favoured a no-confidence vote but feared an unsuccessful challenge could strengthen Infantino by demonstrating that he retains sufficient electoral support ahead of next year’s presidential election.

Infantino has faced mounting pressure since FIFA abandoned a proposal to sell a minority stake in a new commercial entity to private investors. The entity would have controlled commercial rights to the World Cup, FIFA’s flagship tournament.

FIFA expects revenue for the 2023-26 cycle to exceed $15 billion, with the bulk generated during the 2026 World Cup year.

UEFA, the AFC and CONCACAF opposed the investment plan and have since criticised Infantino’s handling of the proposal, citing concerns over transparency, consultation and governance.

The crisis deepened this week with the departure of FIFA Chief Operating Officer Kevin Lamour, who had criticised the plan and said staff had been “deceived” over what he called the “project of one person”.

FIFA gave no reason for Lamour’s departure.

FIFA Vice President Sandor Csanyi also withdrew his support for Infantino this week, saying Lamour’s departure was the “final straw”.

SUPPORT REMAINS

Infantino’s opponents face significant obstacles, however.

No challenger has publicly entered the presidential race ahead of the Nov. 18 nomination deadline, while Infantino retains backing from parts of FIFA’s membership.

CAF President Patrice Motsepe has said Infantino continues to have Africa’s support and that his future should be decided by FIFA members at the election.

Under the abandoned investment proposal, national associations could have received up to $20 million in one-off funding for infrastructure, coaching, national teams, competitions, grassroots football and women’s football.

“Those who are ready to fight Infantino at the ballot box should come out into the open,” Football Association of Malawi President Fleetwood Haiya told Reuters last week.

“They should tell us what they are going to bring. As the Malawi FA, I need to understand what they are going to bring to Malawi.”

CLUBS ADD PRESSURE

The opposition to Infantino also extends beyond FIFA’s voting membership.

European Football Clubs (EFC), chaired by Paris St Germain president Nasser Al-Khelaifi and representing more than 800 clubs, is aligned with UEFA and others seeking changes at FIFA, according to a source familiar with the discussions.

EFC has warned that its members could refuse to participate in future men’s and women’s Club World Cups unless FIFA addresses concerns over governance and the relationship between clubs and the governing body.

While clubs have no vote in FIFA elections, they wield significant sporting and commercial influence.

Michael Payne, a former International Olympic Committee marketing chief, said even an electoral victory for Infantino would not necessarily resolve the divisions within the sport.

“It’s all very well to sneak through with a 51% majority with many of the tiny nations but all of the football superpowers against you. How do you run the organisation?” Payne told Reuters.

No FIFA sponsor has publicly criticised Infantino over the crisis.

“Sponsors are raising their eyebrows saying, ‘How can you manage to have such a successful World Cup and then shoot yourself in the foot afterwards?'” Payne said.

For the senior figure familiar with the no-confidence discussions, the damage may already be irreversible.

“You can’t put the ketchup back in the bottle.”

Agencies

Agencies

Next Post
“Luck” deserts Qatar U18 basketball team in Asian Championship… Yassin shines against Japan

“Luck” deserts Qatar U18 basketball team in Asian Championship… Yassin shines against Japan

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Connect with us

  • 210 Followers
  • 196 Followers

About Us


Khel Updates is a niche, sports-first digital platform focused on story-driven coverage from India, West Asia, and the global sporting landscape, spotlighting grassroots athletes, emerging talent, and stories that go beyond the headlines.

© 2026 Khel Updates is owned by Al Riyada Pvt Ltd.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Football
  • Cricket
  • Tennis
  • More Sports
  • Golf
  • Beyond The Scoreline

© 2026 Khel Updates is owned by Al Riyada Pvt Ltd.